July 2018 Design & Construction Update
Throughout the summer months, our District Facilities Leadership Team is continuing to meet on a regular basis as we purposefully plan for the design and construction of the fitness center and the successful transition of students, staff, and families to the new elementary school. The Facilities Leadership Team has identified multiple subcommittees to support this important work which include: a Design Management Team, Construction Management Team, Olmsted Relocation Team, District Programming Vision Team, and Displacement Staffing Team. In addition to our internal committee meetings, we’ve been working closely with our design (DLR Group) and construction (Stahl Construction) partners. Below you’ll find an updated summary of actions that have been taking place for the fitness center, elementary school #1, PPEL and maintenance projects.
UHS Fitness Center
- Tours of high school fitness center facilities completed.
- Programming needs and space requirements finalized.
- Revising draft rendering of fitness center (will be shared this fall!).
- Review the UHS Fitness Center Overview for initial information regarding equipment and programming.
- Construction will begin spring 2019 (next spring) with the fitness center scheduled to open fall 2020 (which is the 2020-2021 school year).
Elementary School #1 (Olmsted site)
- DLR Group facilitated rotating User Group meetings with administrators, teachers, and staff representatives from all schools on May 31st in order to finalize programming needs and space requirements. Feedback was received from over 80 staff members representing their schools/departments.
- Confirmed leadership transition plans for Jensen, Olmsted, and new elementary school.
- Subcommittees meeting regularly in order to outline key logistics and timelines; moving action items forward.
- Touring alternative sites in order to determine viable options for the temporary placement of Olmsted students and staff.
- Preliminary planning for activities and celebrations to honor the legacy and proud history of Olmsted Elementary.
- Partnering with Juicebox Interactive for the development of a “Construction Central” website that will serve as the hub for all design and construction related updates. The dedicated website will be available this fall.
- Review DLR Group’s Elementary School 1 Overview Schedule for a visual depiction of the different phases of the design and construction process.
PPEL and Maintenance Projects
(Included below are a few highlighted projects that are beginning this summer with anticipated completion this fall; not all projects are included in this list.)
- UHS PAC Stage Acoustic Shell (a.k.a. sound cloud) that will improve the acoustics during band and chorus performances.
- UHS PAC upgrades to LED lighting and digital sound.
- UMS West Gym sand, repaint, refinish, and lighting to be replaced with LED.
- UHS new partitions in South Gym lobby restrooms.
- Concrete repairs to stadium and multiple schools.