August 2018 Design And Construction Update
Throughout the summer months, the District Facilities Leadership Team has been working closely with our design (DLR Group) and construction (Stahl) partners. Below you’ll find an updated summary of actions that have been taking place for the fitness center, elementary school #1, and PPEL/maintenance projects.
UHS Fitness Center
- Draft renderings of the fitness center will be shared with the Urbandale CSD School Board during the August 13 meeting.
- Review the UHS Fitness Center Overview for initial information regarding equipment and programming.
- Construction will begin spring 2019 (April/May) with the fitness center scheduled to open fall 2020 (for the 2020-2021 school year).
Elementary School #1 (Olmsted site)
- District will share an update on viable options for the temporary placement of Olmsted students and staff with the Urbandale CSD School Board during the August 13 meeting.
- DLR Group continues to seek feedback from staff throughout the District in order to finalize space and programming needs. Following the rotating User Group meetings with 80+ staff members on May 31, a second User Group Meeting will be scheduled in September in order for DLR Group to share the outcome/feedback from the May 31 meeting and gather input for the day-to-day functions, technology, and adjacencies within the building in order to design the most effective use of space.
- District Facilities Leadership Team is meeting regularly with DLR Group and Stahl to discuss overall building layout, schematics, traffic flow, renderings, and space/programming needs.
- Subcommittees, which include the Design Management Team, Construction Management Team, Olmsted Relocation Team, District Programming Vision Team, and Displacement Staffing Team, are meeting regularly in order to efficiently and thoughtfully outline logistics and move action items forward.
- Planning continues for activities and celebrations to honor the legacy and proud history of Olmsted Elementary and Jensen Elementary.
- Development continues for a “Construction Central” website that will serve as the hub for all design and construction related updates; site will launch this fall.
- Construction will begin summer 2019 (next summer) with elementary school #1 scheduled to open fall 2021 (for the 2021-22 school year); review DLR Group’s Elementary School 1 Overview Schedule for a visual depiction of the different phases of the design and construction process.
PPEL and Maintenance Projects
(Included below are various projects taking place this summer with anticipated completion this fall; not all projects are included in this list.)
- Turf and building repairs following flood damage.
- UHS PAC Stage Acoustic Shell (a.k.a. sound cloud) that will improve the acoustics during band and chorus performances.
- UHS PAC upgrades to LED lighting and digital sound.
- UMS West Gym sand, repaint, refinish, and lighting to be replaced with LED.
- UHS new partitions in South Gym lobby restrooms.
- Concrete repairs at multiple schools.