February 2019 Design and Construction Update
The District Facilities Leadership Team is working closely with our design (DLR Group) and construction (Stahl) partners. Below you’ll find an updated summary of actions that have been taking place for the UHS Fitness Center and Elementary School #1 (Olmsted site).
UHS Fitness Center
- Design/photos: UHS Fitness Center
- January 28 Board of Directors approved Construction Contracts
- January–April (timeframe TBD) Develop bid package for fitness center equipment.
- Overview of space: The new space will feature an approximate 3,800 sq ft multi-purpose fitness area with flooring to support a host of activities such as yoga, cheer practice, and dance practice. Also featured will be an approximate 9,300 sq ft weight/fitness area that will accommodate free weight training, and speed and agility enhancement with a single lane of track and of turf. Approximately 4,900 sq ft will include circulation areas, lobby, new concessions, and new restrooms that support activities in the two existing gymnasiums. The Fitness Center will support general wellness of all UHS students as the spaces will be incorporated into the daily academic Physical Education (P.E.) program. Spaces may also support Urbandale Community Education Classes.
- Construction will begin spring 2019 (April/May) with the fitness center scheduled to be completed spring 2020.
Elementary School #1 (Olmsted site)
- Design/photos: Elementary School #1
- February 7 Bids Received
- February 25 Board of Directors will approve Construction Contracts
- District has received approval from the Urbandale Baptist Church for additional parking near Jensen and is in the process of finalizing plans for additional parking across the street from Jensen.
- Informed Olmsted, Karen Acres, and Jensen staff how spaces at Jensen and Karen Acres will be adjusted in order to support programming and student needs. Will share updated building maps with families once all space/programming logistics are confirmed.
- Furniture installation for the “Furniture Test Drive” will take place Wednesday, February 6 in three classrooms at Olmsted (preschool, 2nd grade, and 5th grade). The furniture will be used for approximately six weeks. Staff will have opportunities to check out the furniture and see what works best for supporting students.
- During construction, the Adventuretime Summer Program will be located at Karen Acres Elementary.
- Offices for Adventuretime Family Services (currently at Olmsted Elementary) will begin moving into the newly leased office space after spring break or toward the end of the school year. The space is adjacent to the current District Administration Office in the Aurora Business Park and will serve as the office location for Adventuretime as well as serve as storage for Olmsted materials. Adventuretime will continue to have several team members located at Olmsted Elementary throughout the rest of this school year. Payments will continue to be accepted at Olmsted throughout the rest of this school year.
- Online Preschool Pre-registration opened January 15, 2019. Preschool registrations will help determine facility and programming needs.
- Kindergarten Pre-Registration Open House will take place on Tuesday, February 12 from 5pm to 7pm at the Urbandale High School Media Center.
- Continuing extensive planning and preparation to support the following:
- Planning continues for an end-of-year celebration to honor the legacy and proud history of Olmsted Elementary.
- Preparing Karen Acres and Jensen to welcome Olmsted students and staff
- Preparing for Elementary Summer Programs
- Moving Olmsted materials to Aurora storage, Jensen, and Karen Acres
- Moving Nutrition Services out of Olmsted
- Removal and Relocation of Olmsted Playground Equipment
- Relocation-related Internal and External Communication
- Developing a Systemic Packing System, Directions, and Timeline for packing and moving out of Olmsted
- Preparing Adventuretime Preschool, Adventuretime Summer Programming and Early Childhood Special Education Programming 2019-20 locations
- Preparing Aurora Location for Adventuretime Offices and Storage
- Technology Specific Moving and Storage Plan
- Construction will begin summer 2019 (this summer) with elementary school #1 scheduled to open fall 2021 (for the 2021-22 school year).