March 2021 Design and Construction Update
District Administration is working closely with our design team (DLR Group) and contractors (Stahl for Olmsted Elementary School; Stahl for Elementary School #2; Two Rivers Group for UHS HVAC). Below you’ll find an updated summary of actions that have been taking place for multiple construction projects.
- Olmsted Elementary is scheduled to open fall 2021 (for the 2021-22 school year).
- Stairways are enclosed.
- Steel erection over the offices, commons, Nutrition Services, Gym and Mechanical areas completed; roof decking is completed.
- Temporary heat is now available, so interior finish work can resume.
- Underground utilities are complete in the Nutrition Services Kitchen area.
- Painting has been completed on the second floor of the SW pod (D area). Painters have moved downstairs
- Ceiling “clouds” have been constructed. 2nd floor D ceiling track and outside tiles are complete. Remaining tiles in the “field” will be installed when all trades working overhead are done.
- Bathroom Ceramic tile is completed in 2nd floor D.
- Metal stud framing and densglass sheathing is complete areas B and C (front of building)
- SE parking lot area has been prepped to pour. Actual pour date is dependent upon weather.
- Remaining roofing over area C is underway. All other roof areas are complete.
- Exterior insulation and framing for the metal panel system is completed on a large portion of the building.
- Work is ongoing in the mechanical/boiler room. All utilities have been installed.
Elementary School #2 (Valerius site)
- The new elementary school will be constructed on the current Valerius site and is anticipated to be a 2-story, 4-section building (i.e. each grade level will have 4 classrooms).
- Construction will begin summer (2021) with completion summer 2023 (opening for the 2023-24 school year).
- During construction (2021-22 and 2022-23 school years), all Valerius students and staff will attend school at the Jensen Elementary site. As all Jensen students/staff will have moved into the new Olmsted building, Valerius students and staff will be the only occupants in the Jensen building.
- Any student who resides in the Valerius attendance area will be provided bus service free of charge to the Jensen site. This is true for all Valerius zones (free, pay, and walk).
- Families may sign up for bus transportation during the spring online registration process. Routes and stops will be created based on the requests received.
- Open enrolled students are able to purchase bussing from established stops if they would like.
- Bussing is optional. Students are not required to utilize the bus service.
- The bus service is for school hours only (Note: If a parent is utilizing Adventuretime Before/After School Childcare there would not be bussing early or late in the day to access that service).
- Learn more about the project by viewing the presentation and recording from the Valerius Neighborhood Meeting that was held via Zoom on February 10, 2021.
PPEL PROJECT UPDATES
UHS HVAC Renovations
- Several punch list items are outstanding and are being addressed.
- Final Acceptance is expected to be 60 days or less.
- Issues with hot water delivery that existed previous to the construction seems to be resolved with the renovation.
- Building Engineer note: While difficult to determine, definitively, without full occupancy, the new systems seem to be performing as designed, and should have a marked improvement on the comfort of our student athletes, students, staff, and patrons to our indoor sporting events.