November 2021 Design and Construction Progress Update
District Administration is working closely with our design team (DLR Group) and contractors (Stahl for Elementary School #2). Below you’ll find an updated summary of actions that have been taking place for multiple construction projects.
- Learning Stair Wood
- The learning stairs are 75% complete as of 11/15/21. Due to the issues involved with finishing the stairs during school, finishing will be done over winter break. They will switch to a water-based stain to avoid strong fumes that will not have time to dissipate over winter break.
- Exterior Sitework
- Landscaping (trees, bushes, plants) and sod (grass) will be wrapping up in November.
- Fencing is complete except for composite fencing that is still on backorder and the south side of the detention basin. ETA for delivery of the composite fencing is the third week of November.
- Punch List
- Paint touch-ups throughout the building are occuring overnights with workers in the building on a 4pm-2am shift.
- Barn doors, casework, ceiling tiles are all being worked on during the night shift.
- The larger-scale sound system installation in the Olmsted commons/lunchroom and the gym will be a late November project.
Elementary School #2 (Valerius site)
- Scheduled to open Fall 2023-24.
- Thank you to everyone who attended the Groundbreaking Ceremony on October 26. We had a wonderful afternoon celebrating the start of construction for our second new elementary school that will be located on the former Valerius Elementary site. Many thanks to our design (DLR Group) and construction (Stahl) partners. Enjoy a few photos from the event.
- Site Demolition
- Completed minus the entry road off west side and 90th St
- In Progress. The site is roughed in. Finish grading ongoing.
- Working through logistics regarding public sanitary sewer, manholes, and installation of the new line.
- Storm sewer material is ready and available; Hentges will work on that portion while waiting on the remaining sanitary sewer manholes.
- Building Work
- There was a hold up on the permits for ES #2. UCSD and DLR met with the City to discuss outstanding issues in order to wrap them up quickly and proceed. We have been given permission to pour the footings so work is moving along.
- UCSD continues to meet with a group to PDSA the work on ES#1 as we move into ES#2. In an effort to learn from our past work, this will help ensure we make the needed improvements to facilitate a state of the art learning environment for our students.
- Stahl is in the process of meeting with contractor groups to determine material delivery times and finalization of the schedule. Due to the nature of the fabrication and construction market, steel bar joist material has been a concern. ETA for steel bar joist delivery is currently scheduled for May 2022.
- Ground improvement piers started in October, will then start footings in area C and then move to area A. This will allow the structural masonry to follow the footings and be ready for steel erection in May 2022. It is anticipated that the north parking lot will start the week of 11/22.
PPEL PROJECT UPDATES
UHS HVAC Renovations
- Several punch list items are outstanding and are being addressed.