January 2021 Design and Construction Update
District Administration is working closely with our design team (DLR Group) and contractors (Stahl for Olmsted Elementary School; Stahl for Elementary School #2; Two Rivers Group for UHS HVAC). Below you’ll find an updated summary of actions that have been taking place for multiple construction projects.
UHS Fitness Center
- We look forward to hosting a ‘grand opening event’ when it is safe to do so!
- Included below is a progress update for our new Olmsted Elementary school.
- Olmsted Elementary is scheduled to open fall 2021 (for the 2021-22 school year).
- Stairways on the West Elevation are enclosed.
- Steel erection over the offices, commons, Nutrition Services, Gym and Mechanical areas completed; roof decking is completed.
- Gas service to the building is completed. Temporary heat is now available, so interior finish work can resume.
- Underground utilities are almost complete in the Nutrition Services Kitchen area.
- Painting has started on the second floor of the SW pod. Painters will move downstairs when complete.
- Metal stud framing and densglass sheathing is ongoing around areas B and C (front of building)
- SE parking lot area has been prepped to pour. Actual pour date is dependent upon weather.
- Remaining roofing over areas B and C is underway.
- Work is ongoing in the mechanical/boiler room. All utilities have been installed.
Elementary School #2 (Valerius site)
- The new elementary school will be constructed on the current Valerius site and is anticipated to be a 2-story, 4-section building (i.e. each grade level will have 4 classrooms).
- View initial sketches here. (This is not the final design so the actual building could look different than this depiction.)
- Design and construction elements will align with those from the new Olmsted Elementary building, while taking into consideration the constraints and needs of this specific site.
- During the October 12, 2020 School Board Meeting, the School Board voted in favor of an earlier construction start date for our second new elementary school (on the Valerius site) which means construction will begin summer (2021) with completion fall 2023.
- As all students and staff currently at Jensen Elementary will be moving to the new Olmsted Elementary building fall 2021, we will honor and retire the existing Jensen Elementary building with a celebration and farewell ceremony. We will also honor the existing Valerius Elementary building with a celebration and farewell ceremony. The Jensen building will then be able to support all Valerius students and staff for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 school years. We will provide bussing for Valerius students attending school in the former Jensen Elementary building space.
- Throughout the year our District Facilities Leadership Team will be meeting to proactively plan and prepare for a successful transition for all students and staff. We will share more information as details and logistics are confirmed
- Preliminary work has begun at the future site of ES#2.
- A Traffic Study has been completed, as well as Fire Hydrant Pressure Testing for the new school.
- An updated property survey has been completed.
PPEL PROJECT UPDATES
UHS and Webster Elementary Main Entry Renovations; Webster Computer Lab Renovation
- Webster computer lab remodel is completed.
- Webster main entry work is completed. Some door hardware is currently temporary.
- High School main entry work is completed.
UHS HVAC Renovations
The oldest remaining portion of the original high school, the north gymnasium area, has HVAC systems that have exceeded their intended life span. Over the course of the 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years, the District is investing in HVAC upgrades to replace aged equipment, as well as add cooling to these spaces.
- Final Inspection is scheduled for Friday, January 8.
- Final Acceptance is expected to be 60 days or less.
- Building Engineer note: While difficult to determine, definitively, without full occupancy, the new systems seem to be performing as designed, and should have a marked improvement on the comfort of our student athletes, students, staff, and patrons to our indoor sporting events.