February 2021 Design and Construction Update
District Administration is working closely with our design team (DLR Group) and contractors (Stahl for Olmsted Elementary School; Stahl for Elementary School #2; Two Rivers Group for UHS HVAC). Below you’ll find an updated summary of actions that have been taking place for multiple construction projects.
UHS Fitness Center
- We look forward to hosting a ‘grand opening event’ when it is safe to do so!
- Olmsted Elementary is scheduled to open fall 2021 (for the 2021-22 school year).
- Stairways are enclosed.
- Steel erection over the offices, commons, Nutrition Services, Gym and Mechanical areas completed; roof decking is completed.
- Temporary heat is now available, so interior finish work can resume.
- Underground utilities are complete in the Nutrition Services Kitchen area.
- Painting has been completed on the second floor of the SW pod (D area). Painters have moved downstairs.
- Ceiling “clouds” have been constructed. 2nd floor D ceiling track and outside tiles are complete. Remaining tiles in the “field” will be installed when all trades working overhead are done.
- Bathroom Ceramic tile is completed in 2nd floor D.
- Metal stud framing and densglass sheathing is complete areas B and C (front of building).
- SE parking lot area has been prepped to pour. Actual pour date is dependent upon weather.
- Remaining roofing over area C is underway. All other roof areas are complete.
- Exterior insulation and framing for the metal panel system is completed on a large portion of the building.
- Work is ongoing in the mechanical/boiler room. All utilities have been installed.
Elementary School #2 (Valerius site)
- Valerius Neighborhood Meeting (virtual)
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Join Via Zoom: http://bit.ly/3ccI8i2
- We invite Valerius Elementary neighbors to attend a Neighborhood Meeting in order to learn more about the new elementary school that will be built on the current Valerius site. Construction of the new elementary school is scheduled to begin this summer, and will span a total of two years (2021-2022; 2022-2023) with the new building opening for the 2023-2024 school year.
- The Neighborhood Meeting will cover speciﬁcs for what Valerius neighbors can expect during construction. For example: construction timeline, demolition, traffic patterns, equipment, safety, and hours of operation. There will be a Question/Answer session at the end of the meeting.
- To help ensure we have enough virtual seats available in our Zoom Webinar to host all attendees, please RSVP by February 8 via phone (515) 457-6500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The new elementary school will be constructed on the current Valerius site and is anticipated to be a 2-story, 4-section building (i.e. each grade level will have 4 classrooms).
- View initial sketches here. (This is not the final design so the actual building could look different than this depiction.)
- Construction will begin summer (2021) with completion fall 2023 (opening for the 2023-23 school year).
- As all students and staff currently at Jensen Elementary will be moving to the new Olmsted Elementary building fall 2021, we will honor and retire the existing Jensen Elementary building with a celebration and farewell ceremony. We will also honor the existing Valerius Elementary building with a celebration and farewell ceremony. The Jensen building will then be able to support all Valerius students and staff for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 school years. We will provide bussing for Valerius students attending school in the former Jensen Elementary building space.
- Survey work has begun at the future site of ES#2, including additional land not originally surveyed as part of the project.
PPEL PROJECT UPDATES
UHS and Webster Elementary Main Entry Renovations; Webster Computer Lab Renovation
- Webster computer lab remodel is completed.
- Webster main entry work is completed. Some door hardware is currently temporary.
- High School main entry work is completed.
UHS HVAC Renovations
The oldest remaining portion of the original high school, the north gymnasium area, has HVAC systems that have exceeded their intended life span. Over the course of the 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years, the District is investing in HVAC upgrades to replace aged equipment, as well as add cooling to these spaces.
- Final Inspection is scheduled for Friday, January 8.
- Several punchlist items are outstanding, and are being addressed.
- Final Acceptance is expected to be 60 days or less.
- Issues with hot water delivery that existed previous to the construction seems to be resolved with the renovation.
- Building Engineer note: While difficult to determine, definitively, without full occupancy, the new systems seem to be performing as designed, and should have a marked improvement on the comfort of our student athletes, students, staff, and patrons to our indoor sporting events.